The following is a guest post by Heather Johnson, a freelance writer and contributor to Credit Card Lowdown. Heather invites your comments and freelancing job opportunities at her email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Want to write for Money Under 30? Let me know!
Being money-wise at a young age doesn’t mean you have to sit around and do nothing while you wait to retire. No, it isn’t shrewd to blow a week’s wages on Saturday night, but there are plenty of things to do when you are bored while trying to build your savings. Here are 15 recommended activities:
1. Enjoy a local public park. From disc golf to people watching, there are many of things to do there.
2. Read some interesting blogs, just like you’re doing now.
3. Pick up a good book that you’ve been meaning to get to.
4. Start your own writing, even if it’s just a private journal.
5. Invite some friends over to your house. Just make it clear that you won’t be providing many amenities. Your buddies will understand your tight money situation.
6. Cuddle up to your special somebody.
7. Clean your home from top to bottom. It may not sound like fun now, but you will be in a better state of mind when your place is spotless.
8. Kill some time on your social networking site of choice.
9. Put on some music and dance around the house. You might even inadvertently lose some weight this way, which is always a bonus.
10. Call your mom and/or dad back home. They’d love to hear from you.
11. For a change of pace, rearrange your living room furniture.
12. Go outside to enjoy the sunset / sunrise.
13. Play some free, online games.
14. Pull a jigsaw puzzle out of the closet and get to work.
15. The ultimate time waster: “veg out” in front of the television.
Saving money takes a lot of discipline, particularly when your peers are being foolhardy with their cash. However, you can learn to adapt to free activities in order to reach your goal of financial freedom. While other twenty-somethings are maxing out credit cards in the name of fun, you will truly be the one who gets the most enjoyment out of life. Don’t worry; it won’t always be like this.
Earn and save more with our free course:
Join over 15,537 other young professionals. Get our best money hacks to get out of debt by 30, increase your income this year and invest for financial freedom.
100% free! I will NOT spam you and I will NOT share your email.