The Discover it® credit card combines cash back on everyday purchases, a free FICO® credit score with your monthly statement, and competitive intro and regular APRs.
Who “it” is for:
Discover it® is a multi-purpose card for consumers who want to earn cash rewards with every purchase but also may want to take advantage of a 0 percent intro APR on purchases or balance transfers.
If you’re looking for a card for shopping with great cash back rewards, the it® card:
- Pays 5 percent cash back on quarterly categories, on up to $1,500 in spending.
- Pays 1 percent cash back on all other purchases.
- Provides other ways to maximize, rewards. For example, the ShopDiscover online bonus mall will offer cash back bonuses at places like Expedia (5 percent) or Nordstrom (10 percent).
If you’re working on paying down a balance, you have two options with Discover it®:
- The Discover it® card that features a 0 percent APR for 14 months on both balance transfers and purchases.
- A version of the it® card that gives you a 0 percent APR for 18 months on balance transfers and 6 months on purchases.
(With both cards, a 3 percent balance transfer fee applies.)
Regular APRs on the Discover it® credit card vary from 10.99 to 22.99 percent depending on creditworthiness.
Why I like “it”:
Beyond Discover’s competitive rewards and APRs, I enjoy their refreshing approach to customer service and features. Discover is the only major credit card company to offer 100 percent U.S.-based customer service 24/7. No more frustrating calls with India.
Being a card carrier gives you access to a complimentary monthly FICO® score which can be beneficial for even the most cautious credit user.
For example, I once went six months without knowing an overdue electric bill had gone to collections….two years after moving. Had I been actively monitoring my credit, I would have been able to act sooner and might have saved my score from a 100-point hit. It hurts to know that a $120 bill to Western Massachusetts Electric has cost me access to better credit options. Hence, I jump at the option for free monitoring when I can (also remember to pull you free report each year from all three agencies) and recommend that you do, as well.
Another great feature of the it card is Discover’s policy for late payment forgiveness. You’ll still pay a late fee, but you won’t see your APR jump to 29 percent for blanking on your payment date once. Of course, we recommend automating your finances to avoid ever needing to take advantage of this policy, but it doesn’t hurt to have it available.
With all these features combined, Discover it® earns its place as one of our most recommended credit cards for young adults. (Keep in mind, you’ll need too credit to get approved, of course.)
Learn more or apply for:
- Discover it® (0 percent for 14 months on purchases and balance transfers) or
- Discover it® (0 percent for 18 months on balance transfers, 6 months on purchases).
Each application page features more information on rewards and rates, as well as a chart that compares Discover it® to other leading cash rewards cards.