I admit that when it comes to holiday shopping, I’m a procrastinator. I have been witnessed scurrying to the mall or Target on Christmas Eve. That said, I do begin to put some money aside around this time of year so my Christmas shopping doesn’t totally screw with my December or January budgets. And when it comes time to shop, I make a list of everybody I need to buy for, decide how much I can spend in total, and divide it up.
Today, I want to know:
How do you budget for, plan for, and execute your holiday purchases?
When you comment, you’ll enter to win one of four prizes:
- Grand Prize: Dave Ramsey Starter Pack, a $150 value which includes a copy of Total Money Makeover, Financial Peace University, and more.
- Prize #2: A copy of Dave Ramsey’s The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness. The popular book on getting your financial life on track and learning to live debt-free.
- Prize #3: Your Money or Your Life: 9 Steps to Transforming Your Relationship with Money and Achieving Financial Independence: Revised and Updated for the 21st Century. One of my favorite books that will totally change your perception of money.
- Prize #4: The Millionaire Next Door: Surprising Secrets of America’s Wealthy. An eye-opening book about our mistaken beliefs about wealth and a look at what real millionaires are like. (Hint: Most of them drive Toyotas.)
Thanks to PerkStreet
You probably won’t be surprised to know that anti-debt guru Dave Ramsey is a big endorser of PerkStreet (hence the Ramsey prizes). After all, PerkStreet gives you the opportunity to earn generous cash rewards on your purchases without a credit card. Here’s how the rewards work:
- Earn 2% cash back on every non-PIN purchases for 3 months after account is opened
- Earn 2% cash back on every non-PIN purchase when your balance is $5,000 or more or earn 1% cash back for balances below $5,000. Either way, you won’t find another bank in America that gives you more rewards on debit.
There’s no cap on earnings and no annual fee.
Holiday 5% Cash Back Bonus
And, if you sign up for a PerkStreet account by 11/15/2010, you’ll earn 5% cash back on all non-PIN debit card purchases at the following popular holiday retailers until 12/31/2010: Best Buy, Gap, Toys R Us, Babies R Us, Kohls, Starbucks, Macys, JC Penney, Sears, Victoria’s Secret, Ann Taylor, Ann Taylor Loft, Dick’s Sporting Goods, and JCrew.
PerkStreet is a great way to budget for holiday spending (especially with the 5% promotion), but we’re interested to know how you’ve done it in the past. Don’t forget to respond for a chance to win one of the four prizes.
The fine print: The contest will be open until Wednesday, October 27 at 12:00AM EST. To enter, please leave a comment about how you budget for holiday spending. Limit one entry per reader. Winners will be randomly selected and notified by email, so a valid email address is required to win. Don’t worry; we won’t use it for anything else. All prizes are being furnished by PerkStreet. Other than these prizes, this site did not receive anything from PerkStreet for this post or to run this contest, however we may earn a referral fee if somebody we refer to PerkStreet opens an account. If you have any questions about this contest, please contact us. Good luck!