Let’s face it: a wedding ring is a round metal object. Unless you are designing your own wedding rings, or have an unlimited budget that allows you to browse the Tiffany catalogue with serious intent to buy, a traditional wedding band (and many non-traditional wedding rings as well) can easily be bought online at a fraction of the cost paid on the high street.
Two of my favorite sites for any jewelry purchases are Overstock.com (all jewelry) and JamesAllen (diamonds and wedding rings). There are a few key reasons I favor these sites for important purchases:
- They are big, reputable companies.
- I have bought many items on both sites before without problems.
- They have fair return policies.
- They have great customer service support both online and on the phone.
Price is not the only reason to buy wedding rings online. There is something to be said about home delivery in the midst of chaos: namely if you do not have to do more errands and wedding planning you might have time to shower or sleep!
You do not have to be price sensitive to buy wedding rings online. There are a lot of high end stores that are internet savvy and cater to the shop from home crowd. Tiffany & Co, Cartier, De Beers and even Bulgari have exquisite collections available from their websites. In some cases buying online may be the only way to get the rings you and your future spouse want regardless of price. Not everybody has a high end wedding ring store around the corner from their home!
Here are a few things you should check before buying your wedding rings online:
- Make sure the website is reputable. Internet review sites can be helpful in determining if the company you are thinking of buying from will deliver what they promise. If you see a lot of bad reviews. look for another company.
- If you are buying a ring with a diamond it in, make sure the ring comes with a diamond certificate, also known as a diamond grading report. An industry expert should include an analysis of the diamond’s dimensions, clarity, color, polish, and other characteristics. If you are not sure what to buy go to your local jeweler and educate yourself on diamond certification processes.
You should make sure you order in advance, with enough time to receive your rings and have them sized if necessary. You will also need enough time to exchange your rings if you are not happy with your purchase. Remember, you will be wearing your rings for the rest of your life, so being happy with what you order is the most important aspect of your online wedding ring purchase!
Earn and save more with our free course:
Join over 15,537 other young professionals. Get our best money hacks to get out of debt by 30, increase your income this year and invest for financial freedom.
100% free! I will NOT spam you and I will NOT share your email.