If you want to start investing, you need at least a couple grand to get you going, right? Brokers have minimum opening deposits, and then you need to buy enough shares of stock to justify paying trade commissions.
ShareBuilder is a product built for investors who invest using dollar cost averaging (that is, by investing a sum of money on a regular interval over the long run). It’s the form of investing I recommend because it allows you to diversify the price at which you purchase securities by taking advantage of the market’s natural ups and downs. That means you can set up your investments and forget them.
How ShareBuilder Works
ShareBuilder is designed for automatic investing. Here’s how it works.
- You decide how much to invest each month and which stock(s) to buy.
- Your money is automatically transferred to ShareBuilder each month.
- ShareBuilder purchases shares (or fractions of shares) of your selected stock(s) for a $4 per automatic investment commission.
ShareBuilder can also execute real-time trades for a higher commission.
ShareBuilder Pricing and Fees
For investors who want to purchase multiple stocks each month, ShareBuilder offers the “Advantage” plan that can reduce your overall trading fees.
- Basic Plan: No monthly fee. $4 per automatic investment, $9.95 for real-time trades.
- Advantage Plan: $12 monthly fee. 12 free automatic investments, additional investments are $1. Real-time trades cost $7.95.
Additional fees apply for telephone trades and options.
ShareBuilder Review: The Pros and Cons
Compared to other online discount brokers, ShareBuilder is light on features, but offers:
- Telephone customer service
- Online research
- 401(k) rollovers and IRA accounts
What you won’t find are the myriad of customer service options, flashy research tools, or physical branches of other brokers. Bottom line? If you’re a buy-and-hold investors who wants the convenience and simplicity of affordable automatic investments, consider ShareBuilder. If you value flexibility and don’t mind doing a bit more of the legwork and finding mutual funds to buy periodically or even trade on your own, stick with a major discount or full-service stock broker.
Want FREE help eliminating debt & saving your first (or next) $100,000?
Money Under 30 has everything you need to know about money, written by real people who've been there. Enter your email to receive our free weekly newsletter and MoneySchool, our free 7-day course that will help you make immediate progress on whatever money challenge you're facing right now.
We'll never spam you and offer one-click unsubscribe, always.