Take a look at the comments on my article about $8,000 first time home buyer tax credit and you’ll quickly see that people have some strong opinions about this government incentive for Americans to become homeowners in this shaky economy. Naturally, people also have a lot of questions. I’ve put together some answers to some of the more common questions about the first time home buyer tax credit. I hope this list is helpful, but please keep in mind that I’m not a tax professional, and if you have a fairly complex question about the credit, you should probably consult one.
- Am I eligible for the first time home buyer tax credit?
- How do I claim the first time home buyer tax credit?
- How do I know if I get the full credit or a partial credit?
- What are the income limits for the first time home buyer tax credit?
- I bought a home in early 2009 and claimed the $7,500 tax credit on my 2008 tax return. Can I claim the new $8,000 tax credit instead?
- Can I claim the credit if I build a new home on land I already own?
- Can I access the money from the first time home buyer tax credit now instead of waiting to file my 2009 income tax return?
First Time Home Buyer Resources