OpenSky® Secured Visa® Credit Card Review - A Great Starter Card, Even For Those With No Credit
Rating as of Oct. 4, 2020 based on a review of services June 2, 2022.
- New to Credit/
No credit check needed to get approved for this card.
Choose your own security deposit between $200 – $3,000 and that becomes your credit line.
On-time payments will be reported to all three credit bureaus, so you can start building credit responsibly.
The annual fee is just $35, and OpenSky® does not charge any application, servicing, or processing fees.
- No credit check to apply and find out instantly if you are approved.
- New! For a limited time only, apply and open a new OpenSky account to receive an automatic $50 unsecured credit line increase after 3 on-time payments; up to $200 in your first year-no additional deposit required. Click "apply now" to see additional terms.
- OpenSky gives everyone an opportunity to improve their credit with an 85% average approval rate for the past 5 years
- You could be eligible for the OpenSky Gold Unsecured Card after as few as 6 months
- Reports to all 3 major credit bureaus monthly, unlike a prepaid or debit card
- View your FICO® Score through your OpenSky account, an easy way to stay on top of your credit
- Nearly half of OpenSky cardholders who make on-time payments improve their FICO score 30+ points in the first 3 months
- Your refundable* deposit, as low as $200, becomes your OpenSky Visa credit limit
- Easy application, apply in less than 5 minutes right from your mobile device
- Offer flexible payment due dates which allow you to choose any available due date that fits your payment schedule
- *View the cardholder agreement
In a perfect world, everyone would have perfect credit. But we don’t live in a perfect world. We live in the real world, where sometimes your credit score is super low — or even non-existent.
If that’s the case and you’re ready to build it back up, the OpenSky® Secured Visa® Credit Card can help. Make regular, on-time payments on this credit card to see your credit score improve month after month.
Never had a credit card before? That’s OK, too. OpenSky® Secured Visa® Credit Card gives you the chance to prove you can handle credit responsibly.
Overview of the OpenSky® Secured Visa® Credit Card
- Best for – Those who want to better their credit, and people with limited credit history.
- Regular APR – 20.39% (variable).
- Annual fee – $35.
- Credit check – None to apply.
- Minimum security deposit – $200.
- Credit reporting – Reports to all three major credit bureaus.
In-depth analysis of the OpenSky® Secured Visa® Credit Card
The OpenSky® Secured Visa® Credit Card is a secured card,meaning you’ll need to put down a security deposit (in this case, $200 – $3,000) to secure (hence the term secured) your credit limit. While that may seem like a pain, it’s only fair, considering you don’t have much of a credit history, and OpenSky wants to guarantee that they’ll get paid back if you don’t pay down your bill.
Plus, the OpenSky® Secured Visa® Credit Card has plenty of worthwhile features, including:
No credit check
The OpenSky® Secured Visa® Credit Card doesn’t require a credit check. They don’t run a “hard pull” on your credit as other credit cards do. Anyone has the chance to get the OpenSky® Secured Visa® Credit Card, no matter what their credit score is.
Good range for deposit
The OpenSky® Secured Visa® Credit Card gives up to $3,000 of a secured credit line via a refundable* security deposit that you provide. But you can also get the card with a credit line as low as $200. So no matter how much you’d like to put toward this account, OpenSky can work with you.
Reports to all three credit bureaus
The OpenSky® Secured Visa® Credit Card also reports monthly to Equifax, TransUnion, and Experian. This is a great feature of the card because it is this reporting that helps you build your credit.
When you make a purchase and then pay off your card (or at least pay the minimum), it’s reported to the credit bureaus. This establishes a habit of responsible credit card usage, even if you had bad credit or no credit before.
It works like a normal Visa
While the OpenSky® Secured Visa® Credit Card is a secured card, it isn’t flagged as “secured” in your reports. Your usage of the card is reported like any normal credit card. Use it anywhere you would use a regular Visa card: the grocery store, online, even rent a car with it.
Pros & cons
- No credit check — It doesn’t matter what your current score is, or if you even have one at all.
- Easy to apply — Apply in minutes online at the OpenSky website.
- Helps rebuild your credit fast — Responsible use of your OpenSky® Secured Visa® Credit Card could give your credit score a boost in just a few months.
- Annual fee — The annual fee might be unattractive to some people.
- Deposit is held until you close the account — You have to completely close the account and pay the balance in full to get your deposit back.
Who should get the OpenSky® Secured Visa® Credit Card
Those with no credit history
The OpenSky® Secured Visa® Credit Card is a good option for someone with no credit history, such as students or people just starting out on their financial journey. It’s also a good choice for people who want to improve their credit from a low credit score to something higher.
Those rebuilding credit
Maybe you had some financial trouble and took a hit to your credit score. The OpenSky® Secured Visa® Credit Card is an option that lets you focus on rebuilding that score, which will open the door for more opportunities down the road. They won’t look at your credit score, so you can focus on making improvements.
Those who have previously had difficulty getting approved
If you’ve never had a credit card before, and have trouble getting approved for a credit account, the OpenSky® Secured Visa® Credit Card can help you prove your creditworthiness. It doesn’t matter if you don’t have an existing credit score, because OpenSky doesn’t consider that in the application process.
How to apply for the OpenSky® Secured Visa® Credit Card?
You can sign up for the OpenSky® Secured Visa® Credit Card right from their website. All you need is some personal information so OpenSky can verify your identity:
- Phone number.
Then, you’ll provide some information about your finances:
- Total annual income.
- Monthly housing payment.
- Housing payment type (rent, mortgage, other).
- Social security number.
- Date of birth.
This is very private information, but they need this data from you so they can make sure you are who you say you are; verifying identity for financial accounts is a law under the USA Patriot Act.
Next, OpenSky will share some disclosures with you. These are the terms of your financial agreement and you’ll see some details about the OpenSky® Secured Visa® Credit Card, such as the annual percentage rate (APR), which is 20.39% (variable) for both purchases and cash advances.
For people looking to improve their credit history right away, the OpenSky® Secured Visa® Credit Card is a great option because it requires no credit check. Use it to fund small purchases, pay the minimum payment on time every month, and watch your credit score improve as OpenSky notifies each credit reporting bureau of your timely payments.
It really is possible to improve your credit score and get closer to better interest rates, even a home or car loan, with a secured card like the OpenSky® Secured Visa® Credit Card.